GWASC collaborates with local, regional, and national partners to bring new events to our Wichita community. We value our local venue and facility owners and work closely with them in pursuing events.
We also work extremely hard to operate and maintain successful recurring events, including the Prairie Fire Marathon, Buster Posey National Collegiate Catcher of the Year Award, NBC World Series, and Wichita Corporate Challenge.
- To promote and sell through a segmented approach sports events and programs for the greater Wichita area.
- To establish, maintain and/or operate sports events and programs in the greater Wichita area.
- To be actively involved in sports program and facility development.
- To implement a member and stakeholder communications strategy to enhance publicity and community profile.
- To operate an effective community sports association with sound financial and talent support and expected returns.
Letter from GWASC President & CEO, Bob Hanson
For too long, sports teams and interested individuals in our community have tried to operate leagues, tournaments and sporting events with fundraising programs such as bake sales and car washes. These are excellent fundraising ideas for grassroots organizations, but taxing and burdensome for the few volunteers who support and operate many of Wichita area sports clubs.
Insert the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission, a private not for profit organization formed in August of 1997. The Sports Commission was developed to improve the quality of life and the economy in Wichita through sports as well as provide support to existing events and organizations in our community.
My staff and I are committed to organizing the area sports scene and bringing area, regional, and national sporting events to the Greater Wichita Area. It is our goal to showcase our community by making the Wichita area a Midwestern hub for sporting events and activities. We invite you to join the Sports Commission and help us put an umbrella over the Wichita sports community.
If you have a tournament or sporting event that you need help with or want to publicize, the Sports Commission wants to help. Please call us at (316) 265-6236 or contact us!