Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon
Prairie Fire Marathon
2017 Greater Wichita Sports Banquet featuring the Johnny Bench Award
Welcome to the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission
We have compiled a listing of sporting events, attractions, tournaments and facility information which we hope you will find helpful and beneficial.
XBowling Intercollegiate Championships
The 2015 XBowling Intercollegiate Team and Singles Championships will be held April 13-18 at Northrock Lanes in Wichita, Kan.
An agreement between the United States Bowling Congress and Wichita USBC, Wichita Sports Commission and JOMA Bowling will bring the premier events of the college bowling season together for the fifth time.
"The city of Wichita is thrilled to welcome back the Intercollegiate Team and Singles Championships," said Wichita mayor Carl Brewer. "Wichita has a rich bowling tradition, and we can't wait to welcome the top collegiate bowlers and programs in the country."
16th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet
Watch Stuart Turner talk about the Johnny Bench Award at FanFest during MLB All-Star Week!
It was an evening of celebration at the 16th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet as local awards were handed out in various categories. The event concluded with Johnny Bench, former Cincinnati Reds catcher and Hall of Famer, as he presented the Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com to the Ole Miss catcher, Stuart Turner. Mitchell Garver of the University of New Mexico and Zane Evans of Georgia Tech University were also finalists for the award. The annual banquet recognizes the achievements and dedication of local youth, high school, college and professional athletes and coaches. The winners were:
• Connor Frankamp, Wichita North High School – Barry Sanders High School Male Athlete of the Year
• Evan Stamp, Andover Central High School – Lynette Woodard High School Female Athlete of the Year
• Malcolm Armstead, Wichita State University – College Male Athlete of the Year
• Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton, Wichita State University – College Female Athlete of the Year
• Matt Moss, Wichita Wild – Professional Athlete of the Year
• Antwain Scales, Wichita South – High School Coach of the Year (Women’s Sports)
• Joe Alan Schuckman, Bishop Carroll High School – High School Coach of the Year (Men’s Sports)
• Mark Potter, Newman University – Coach of the Year • Wichita Wild – Award of Success
• Ed Hargrove, Cowley College Softball – Award of Success
• Wichita State University Athletics – Award of Excellence
• Stuart Turner, Ole Miss – Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year
“The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission would like to congratulate all of the award finalists and especially Stuart Turner, the Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year,” stated Bob Hanson, president/CEO. “They represent their teams and universities in a remarkable manner.” “We are very appreciative of the time and energy Johnny Bench has demonstrated in making this award a huge success. He has set a high standard for these young men to strive toward,” said Hanson.
Keynote speaker Goose Gossage entertained the crowd with stories of his time as a MLB pitcher, while delivering an inspirational message, and advice, that you can't let what happened to you yesterday effect what you need to do today.