Prairie Fire Spring Half Marathon
Prairie Fire Marathon
2017 Greater Wichita Sports Banquet featuring the Johnny Bench Award
Welcome to the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission
We have compiled a listing of sporting events, attractions, tournaments and facility information which we hope you will find helpful and beneficial.
Johnny Bench Award Youth Catchers' Clinic
Thank you to all of the participants and spectators that joined us on Thursday, June 25, 2015 at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium for the 16th Annual Johnny Bench Award Catchers' Clinic conducted by Just Block It!
A special thank you to the following sponsors for making this event happen: BaseballSavings.com, Rawlings, Just Block It!, Wichita Wingnuts, Blue River Mexican Grill and RBI Performance Center.
We are looking forward to another great event next year!
2014 Woody Austin Midwest Junior Golf Invitational
Congratulations to Anna Pool, Austin Shanks and Harrison Gearhart for taking home top honors in the 7th Annual Woody Austin Midwest Invitational Tournament at Tallgrass Country Clubs. Overall Final Results are below.
2014 Greater Wichita Sports Banquet
It was an evening of celebration at the 17th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet as local awards were handed out in various categories. The event concluded with Johnny Bench, former Cincinnati Reds catcher and Hall of Famer, as he presented the Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com to Kennesaw State catcher, Max Pentecost. Will Allen of the University of Mississippi and Kyle Schwarber of Indiana University were also finalists for the award.
“The last two days have been a memorable experience and I thank everyone for that,” stated Pentecost. “I also need to thank my family, teammates and friends for not only making me a better athlete but a better person too.”
The annual banquet recognizes the achievements and dedication of local youth, high school, college and professional athletes and coaches. The winners were:
• Bryna Vogel, Clearwater High School – Lynette Woodard High School Female Athlete of the Year
• Ryan Schadler, Hesston High School – Barry Sanders High School Male Athlete of the Year
• Chelsey Feekin, Wichita State University – College Female Athlete of the Year
• Cleanthony Early, Wichita State University – College Male Athlete of the Year
• C.J. Ziegler, Wichita Wingnuts – Professional Athlete of the Year
• Brandon Clark, Derby High School – High School Coach of the Year (Men’s Sports)
• Steve Harshberger, Bishop Carroll High School – High School Coach of the Year (Women’s Sports)
• Gregg Marshall, Wichita State University– Gene Stephenson Coach of the Year
• Wichita Wild – Award of Success
• Joe Mitchell, Friends University – Outstanding Achievement Award
• Friends University Basketball – Award of Success
• Bob Lutz, League 42 – Visionary Award
• Max Pentecost, Kennesaw State University – Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year
“The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission would like to congratulate all of the award finalists and especially Max Pentecost, the Johnny Bench National Collegiate Catcher of the Year,” stated Bob Hanson, president/CEO. “They represent their teams and universities in a remarkable manner.” “We are very appreciative of the time and energy Johnny Bench has demonstrated in making this award a huge success. He has set a high standard for these young men to strive toward,” said Hanson.
2015 YMCA National Gymnastics Championship
We are pleased to announce that Wichita will be the host of the 2015 YMCA National Gymnastics Championship. The event will take place June 23-27, 2015 at Century II Convention Center. The event will bring in over 5,300 athletes,family members and coaches to the city of Wichita.
To read the full press release, click on the link below.